The Theosophical Society was founded by Madame Blavatsky, Col. Henry Steele Olcott, William Quan Judge & others in New York City in 1875. In 1879 Madam Blavatsky and Col. Olcott relocated to India....then in 1882, they established the International Headquarters of the Society at Adyar, a suburb of Madras, where it has since remained....
The Society today, has National Memberships in some seventy countries
and there are Lodges and Study Centers located in most major cities. In the United States there are approximately 150 Lodges and Study Centers all over the country.
In 1907, international leadership passed to Annie Besant, who presided over the Theosophical Society's expansion in the early part of the 20th century. In 1919, it was Besant who chartered The Theosophical Society in Miami, Florida.
The Theosophical Society in Miami grew through the 1920's and 30's, moving to several different locations and in 1938, was incorporated as an autonomous not-for-profit corporation in South Florida.
In 1962, the The Theosophical Society in Miami moved to N.E. 62nd Street in Miami, where it remained until 1993. It then moved to 831 S.E 9th Street, Deerfield Beach, 33441 where it is now located. Although our official name is still The Theosophical Society in Miami (the name on our charter), we now call ourselves The Theosophical Society in Miami & South Florida, better reflecting the community we serve.
Our current centralized location, with ample, well lit, free parking, is conveniently situated in the Palm Plaza Shopping Center. It is supported by complimentary Establishments....including a Yoga School, an Italian food restaurant and various other Natural Health Establishments within the Plaza. It is located in a Metropolitan Area, which is a good place to serve our South Florida Membership well.